Wednesday 5 September 2018

It takes balls to run Pikachu

Yes, literally it takes balls to run Pikachu.



Its been a strange and at times very sad year for us. 

Everyone grieves differently and for me some things I like to keep very private so forgive me for not commenting further. Instead I will focus on our dogs progress since my last blog.

The last blog was about Chic aka Miss Perfect Paws as she continues to be. It'll be a while before she competes so as usual there is not much equipment training going on in the Laker scheme of things. Here a little clip of one exercise we have done.


Chic jumping exercise clip






It has been said to me several times that Pikachu will make me a better dog trainer. My reply is often I don't want to be a better dog trainer I just want a dog I can do agility with. Looks like Chic is not going to help my dog training skills ;)

So how is Pikachu doing? Well I mentioned that I had found the key to motivation with her and about her tennis balls. I just needed to find a way to put that to best use and develop a love of agility with me through being rewarded with her balls whilst not ruining our relationship by fighting with her to get them off her.

This is easier said than done, but the result is I have a dog that loves coming out to train with me and even more relevant will stay in the ring at a show, or better still enjoys competing. She can still get a little distracted on the start line and wonder if the person that has just taken her lead has also got one of her balls which needs a bit of work. TBH I'll just have to get even bigger pockets and tuck her lead in there too so she needn't worry. 



The other BIG thing is that I was struggling to feel we were together in the ring. I apologise to small dog handlers but I thought it was purely a size issue and the distance from my eyes and hands to her compared to previously running large dogs that I could touch without bending down. I wondered if I would ever feel that connection. I often can't see her!


She's behind you clip




Happily this is not the case and I can feel her commitment and drive (yes drive yippee) equally the same as with Rhyme. Admittedly not all the way round yet. I'm confident it will grow as she is a smart little cookie and has found the joy of running round an agility course together. She has a lovely turn of speed too so I think we will be able to look to getting up the grades...if I can understand how they work next year.

The time spent this season just getting her to thrive on my attitude to competition has been well spent. I now need to capitalise on this by developing fast reliable contacts and weaves over the winter ready to attack courses with a winning mind next year.





I am also on the search for a replacement for the balls in a toy that she will give back without a struggle but produces nearly the same amount of excitement. So far we have found she also loves one of these cut down a bit and will bring it to me to tug with!









Yep so if I can't find something better I'll be replacing the balls for something that will look no less dodgy stuffed in my pocket and earning comments like "are you pleased to see me or is that just dog toy in your pocket!!"






















No comments:

Post a Comment