Tuesday 21 February 2012

Born Again?


I am open to everyone’s beliefs so long as they are not harmful to others or themselves and don’t think blogs are the place to be that personal but I for me re-incarnation has a certain fascination – partly because how can so many dead people live in heaven without serious overcrowding LOL

Torro is an unusual dog and does not seem to have normal dog skills. His idea of being friendly is whacking another dog with his paw. There were a few happenings in his puppyhood and something from a communicator that could give the opinion he was a cat in a previous life. Well our cat (Dirty Harry) died of old age in the October and Torro was born in January. There was also a long and complicated serious of events that resulted in me having Torro. He made eye contact with me when we went to look at the pups that made me think he thought good I’ve found you again J

I had forgotten about this and only started to think about it because of how Rhyme is going at training.

I am so enthusiastic about the puppy training and how we can break things down to help dogs learn the equipment when they are older. I love training it and seeing the rapid progress dogs make and how much fun they have. However Rhyme does not seem to share this emotion. However much I would prefer to break things down and build understanding and then speed. He just does things. He does them like he has done them before.

The seesaw is a perfect example – I did wobble cushions, boards planks on balls gradually building to doing the seesaw on 2 tables etc, plus bang game and end games. Went to do the whole thing and he jumped off L Went back a few stages all ok then tried again. Again off he comes L Decided to just hold his collar in the old-fashioned way and viola, easy peasy, why didn’t you say this is what you wanted? seesaw sorted.

Then there was the match – I really should have waited and done more training, first on jump grids and set point etc etc. But the first time I showed him a course and he does it.

He’s getting to the age of doing full height now too so I just did an exercise at medium and then did the same at full height – done – no errors, no running under, no hesitation.

So this makes comes me to the conclusion that maybe Rhyme is a reincarnation of an agility dog. I do not know which dog and can only hope it was a very good one.

Traits peculiar to Rhyme include suckling your thumb when sleeping on your lap and nibbling you in a “you are mine kind” of way. So if you know of any past agility dogs with these traits I may have him – sorry you can’t have him back but it’ll be good to meet you J J

1 comment:

  1. I like that thought. I have wondered if Pip is a reincarnation of my old Black Lab Gemma.

    He certainly has some of her characteristics, especially how he plays with a tennis ball, and how he will focus on something totally and completely with no distraction!

    ReplyDelete