Friday 18 March 2011

The Culture Clash - or is it?

I may have mentioned that Sharon (Happy ? Birthday) lent me The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson. As the title suggests it points out the total difference in culture of ours and our dogs and how understanding it will help us provide a better relationship with them.
You know me - it's all about relationship :)
One theme that is regularly brought up is that dogs live in the here and now. Here's an opportunity to eat (steal food), run (ignore recall), chew (damage furniture) etc etc. Humans on the other hand need to understand what, where, who and why? This preoccupation has us soul searching and looking into childhood events for reasons (excuses) for day to day happenings.

How sweet and amusing it would be to live for the here and now. Not to have to worry if :
spending time with the dogs meant the dinner was late ..... oh I possibly do that one,
chatting to people at shows made you miss your run .......like on Sunday,
you felt like a bottle of wine the night before a show........like Friday,

OOPS well maybe Jean has more concious than me as I've not been soul searching on any of those LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment